Monday 26 February 2018

30 Paintings - Day 26!

All month I have been managing to paint a few days ahead of my posting. This is good in one way: I haven't had to worry about not getting a painting done each day.  However, I  don't always remember what steps I went through to create some of the pieces.
#1091 - Golden Sunset - 5.5 x 8 acrylic on watercolour paper
I think that this piece was the other half of yesterday's painting "Rays" although it now bears no resemblance to what it was before. I know I used a lot of gesso to really create texture, then some pretty thick paint to cover any of the previous paint still showing. Using a palette knife I added the final touches. I don't know why, but when using the knife I often end up with a scene of trees and rocks - I have to get out of this rut!

Check Leslie's Blog to see some great art!

Thanks for visiting  - it is great to hear from you!

8 comments:

  1. LOL, Yeah, but it is a pretty rut! I like how the colors play in the sky and foreground. Work equally as well in both. There is even a sense of distance, and a low ridge line! Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, ha, ha - thanks Sheila. I really don't mind ruts that much. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  2. Val, you NAILED these trees! The composition is awesome in this piece with all the varying sizes, heights of trees. And the dark contrasts. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laurie. I think I must gravitate to trees in my painting because I find them easy to do - even with a palette knife - lol.

      Delete
  3. Outstanding sky, Val - and I love your rocks and trees, rutted or not. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Win. I guess the rut fits me pretty well - lol.

      Delete
  4. This is one great rut! I love the textures and application of the paint for the trees. It is amazing to see what changes you can make to something. I've tried to stay at least a day ahead too, never knowing when that day will come that I just can't get something done. Great minds must think alike. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan. I think the acrylic gives me a greater sense of freedom so I am more open to changes than with watercolour. As for my rut - I really don't mind it - lol. And I have already done all 30 paintings - I bet you have too!

      Delete