Saturday 24 February 2018

30 Paintings - Day 24!

One advantage of painting with acrylics is that you can always paint over your mistakes. Also, if you catch it before the paint dries you can wash off your mistakes the same way you might with watercolour. Today's painting was subjected to the second option.
#1089 - Red Rock, Blue Water - 10 x 14 acrylic on watercolour paper
I was very tempted to just throw this piece away but one of my students said 'Oh, I really like that!' This is painted on hot press paper - another experiment - and then washed off when I figured it was a horrible mess. The resulting stains reminded me of water rushing down a rocky bank so I added a bit of detail to strengthen that impression. I won't throw this away but I don't think I will frame it yet either.

I was asked if I am finding these abstracts easier to do now that I have done a bunch. I think it is easier to do pieces that are similar to those I have done before but it is harder to come up with a different look for new paintings. That will be my challenge as I go forward!

Have a look at Leslie's Blog to see a wide variety of art from almost 200 artists from around the world.

Thanks for visiting!


8 comments:

  1. I love the look! Guess you had a “happy accident “ that you took creative advantage of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you like this one Laurie. I usually try to find a way to 'fix' my accidents. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I definitely think you should mat and frame this. You had a very fortuitous mistake. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan. I guess I will end up matting and framing this - so many of you can't be wrong!

      Delete
  3. I liked it right off Val. Abstract, fresh. My eye travels around the edges, then lands on the yellow bit of rock in the center. My what a fabulous accidental mess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila. Another positive response to this painting. I bow to the expertize of all of you! - lol

      Delete
  4. I love it, Val, particularly the bottom left corner of rocks and trunk...so organic. The wash away is a great technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Win. The wash away is not something I use very much but it does come in handy with really bad mistakes - lol.

      Delete