Wednesday 27 January 2016

2016 Day 27

I did today's painting yesterday when my friend, Linda, was visiting. She brought some of her recent watercolors with her to show me and I decided to try to reproduce one of her pieces.
Flowing Sunflower
Instead of using watercolor paints I used acrylics which have the advantage of versatility. If you add enough water they almost behave like watercolors when you are working on paper. I guess because I am a watercolor artist first, I find that painting on paper, regardless of medium, is less stressful than other surfaces. This painting was great fun and I am pretty happy with it!

"Flowing Sunflower" is an unframed 7 x 10 watercolor on Arches 140 lb paper.

Only three more days to go!

10 comments:

  1. Oh Val this is lovely! So nice and loose. I love the movement, how the greenery seems to hug the bloom. Just wonderful. Also, I see a face in the caramel area, looking straight out, very intent. Interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila - Sometimes I just have to let loose - lol. I will have to study the painting a bit but I haven't seen the face yet. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Sheila- I love the looseness of this. And I agree-acrylics are so versatile. You can make them thick, you can make them thin, and everything in between!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie, I often have trouble with 'looseness' and don't know when to stop fiddling. I think I have tried the acrylics every which way this month but I am looking forward to getting back to my watercolors.

      Delete
  3. Oh I think you should be very pleased with this. The delicacy of the leaves too is just wonderful. I too am becoming more of an acrylics fan. Trying the oil but find I am liking the acrylics more because of the flexibility though. I think this is my favorite piece of all you have done this month and there have been some real beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nelvia. I think it is great how diverse the responses have been to my work this month. One of my goals I guess - variety and something for everyone!Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. What a great sense of freedom in this Val!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the soft looseness to this one, Val!

    ReplyDelete