Friday 16 March 2018

Just Playing Around

The other day on a FB quilling group I belong to, someone asked 'what do you do with your quilled projects?'

I make mine to keep my hands busy and, of course, to sell. I have found that my ornaments and cards sell pretty well but the question got me thinking. What else can I make that might sell too?
I decided to scale down a few of my regular ornaments and make 'ornaments for houseplants'. So far I have one pattern for a hummingbird, two patterns for butterflies and one for dragonflies. They are made with 1/8" paper and sealed with a heavy coat of gloss medium. The wire is threaded through before sealing so it is pretty sturdy.



I find I have to pick unnatural colours so that the ornaments show up against the green of the plants. I mean really,  a mauve and pink hummingbird? Any way, I think they are cute and that they will make a nice addition to any houseplant or artificial arrangement. I hope others think the same - lol
Here is a comparison photo of the dragonflies although I really should have  a coin in the picture to give a really good idea of sizes. I will be making more of these designs and I think I will have to come up with a bee pattern too!

I enjoy reading your comments so please leave one! Thanks for visiting.


10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and oh, so pretty, idea!! Love your hummingbirds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I have lots of houseplants and very few of the flower so these make a nice bright additon. And, hummingbirds are always a favourite!

      Delete
  2. Oh these are so fun Val. And bee I think would sell well. Any idea how much you will sell them for? I think they will be popular, so fascinating with all the detail. really love that blue and green dragonfly on the top of the last photo.
    Just wondering, Do you seal these at all? Wondering if that would be easier to "dust" or clean later on.
    Have fun Val!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. I am thinking of selling them for between $5 and $7 - although they aren't very big they are almost as hard to make as big ornaments. I have sealed them with a thick coat of glass medium. I was thinking more about people spraying their plants than needing to dust them but I think you can safely give them a quick rinse under the tap. I give my plants a shower a few times a year but I think I will take the ornaments out first and do them separately - just in case - lol. Good thought though and I will maybe give them an extra coat of medium. Thanks Sheila.

      Delete
  3. Well aren't you the clever girl? They are all adorable. I too think they will be quite popular. Have you ever thought of selling online - these would probably be easy to ship. too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nelvia - not too sure about clever but I am trying - lol. I have a Handmade at Amazon shop and have sold a few things. I was thinking this morning that I should probably add these and some of my larger quilled pieces, especially the hummingbirds. I think they will probably be easy to ship too - it is worth a try. Thanks for confirming the idea.

      Delete
  4. These are really cute and I can see them selling well. They would make a nice addition to perk up any potted plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them Joan.I think they should sell well too and the bonus is - they are fun to make!

      Delete
  5. Such a great idea, Val, and you should have success with these, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Win - glad you like them. As for success - who knows? lol

      Delete