Thursday 29 March 2018

Going Overboard - Again!

I think it must be a sickness. I get what I think is a really good idea and I go overboard and make lots of - whatever!
quilled house plant ornaments
I have had a request for some of these from the woman in charge of the gift shop at the Creston Museum so maybe I haven't made too many - lol. I have enjoyed making these except for the bumble bees. For some reason they seemed to be harder to make than any of the other designs.
As the weather improves, my thoughts are turning more to my garden and bedding plants than to art. I plan to slow down a bit and get back to basics so I am just going to focus on drawing for a while.

I picked up a fun book at a artist's book sale; Draw Medieval Fantasies by Damon J Reinagle. I think they should have added the word Cartoons but the drawings are fun and way outside my norm. I will work on these mostly when I go to the Art Club's painting days.

And finally, I have decided what to do with this painting.
NOTHING!!!

I had a number of people respond to my call for help. The majority of the comments were to leave the painting alone because  - they liked it! A few artist friends made some very good suggestions and I tried them out on some mylar laid over the original. I also turned the painting sideways and studied it for a while. Nothing seemed to work and the more I looked at the piece the more I liked it as is. Now I have to come up with a title - sigh!

Thanks to all of you who helped with my decision - I really appreciate your comments and hope you will keep it up!


8 comments:

  1. I love your quilled creatures and I think they will be a big hit!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan - I hope they will be a hit - you never know with people!

      Delete
  2. Awesome, congrats on your request for the gift shop! I know they will be a hit ;) I LOVE the bees. Interesting to hear they are more difficult. I am smiling about your change of heart. Looking at it again, what I had mentioned, isn't standing out to me now. I really like it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila. The best thing about the gift shop is that they buy out right at a wholesale price. If they do well I will probably get more orders but meanwhile, I have some money. I am glad you agree with my decision on the painting - a new look gives a different perspective.

      Delete
  3. Those bees are adorable and all will really be popular I think. See, you knew what to do, stepping back and waiting made the decision right for you. Best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nelvia. I have had lots of compliments on the bees - I think I will be making more - lol. Regarding the painting - time is often the best answer.

      Delete
  4. I love it that you go overboard, because that's my direction - always! Your quilled creatures are very fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Win. The problem with going overboard is ending up with too much product and supplies to make that product - good thing I have a big studio space and house - lol.

      Delete