Wednesday 30 May 2018

Odds and Ends

I haven't been doing much art lately as I have been too busy with yard work and getting my flowers planted. Today was the first time in over 2 weeks that I picked up a brush and, of course, I painted another scene of the Creston Valley.
Cloudy Skies over the Valley - 7 x 10 watercolour
I haven't been completely without art in the last few weeks; I have done a few bits of quilling in my spare time. And, I gave a small Quilling Party on the weekend.
Mini hummer and flower with buds

an ATC with the mini quilling

more mini humming birds and a Canadian dollar coin (loony)
These mini quilling pieces were done with 1/16" paper strips and were VERY difficult to do! I started making them because my blogging friend Nelvia McGrath - Nelvia's Blog  - suggested swapping ATCs. I have a few ATCs made but thought the one I chose for the swap needed a bit extra to make it more interesting - thus the quilling. Then a friend asked me to make her one so I did a few more but I was more than happy to get back to normal sizes for the Quilling Party.
my quilled card
I always forget how long it takes beginners to get their fingers working when learning how to quill with 1/8" paper strips; maybe next time I will start them with the 1/4" paper. At any rate, we all managed to complete a card during the party and the ladies were so interested that they plan to come for regular lessons to learn more. Unfortunately, I was so busy I forgot to take photos of their cards - sigh, when will I learn to have the camera in the room with me!

I have a number of projects in mind for the next while and, hopefully, I will have the time and the energy to do them. Then I will share.

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment as  I would love to hear from you!


12 comments:

  1. These are so neat. I'd never heard of quilling. Will google it later. I can't believe I hadn't been following your blog. How did I miss it all this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found my blog Chandra and hope yu continue to follow and comment. Quilling is really making a come-back and people are doing amazing things with paper. I am glad you like my efforts and I am sure you will enjoy what you find if you google the medium. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Yes Val I made the supreme sacrifice of the enhanced ATC and I love it. My husband still can’t believe someone actually made it and that small too. Did you get all you planting in and pots done? Got to see pics when they start to come in. Keep those valley pics coming as we always enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those tiny hummingbirds are beautiful! I can imagine that they are quite difficult! Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy. I am glad you like my little hummers and yes, they are tough to make. Glad you like the card too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I love the tiny quills. I can't imagine making them so small. The cards are really lovely. Anyone receiving one would be so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan, glad you like the tiny quilling. I had no idea they used such thin paper until a friend gave me a card she found somewhere but I never thought I would try it myself. If I had your birthday and your address - I might just surprise you with a quilled card - lol.

      Delete
  5. That's a lovely painting, Val, and as always, I very much enjoy your quilled pieces. Teeny tiny bits of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Those ARE tiny! I love them all, and the card and ATC. Looks like you have been art busy to me Val ;) Love our watery mountain scene. Very peaceful and it reminds me of growing up in Colorado.
    Happy season Val, and yes, do share photos when your garden is in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. glad you like my minis and the watercolour. It is almost always busy at this time of year as thee is so much to do. I hope you are resting up after your own busy time. thanks for stopping by

      Delete

  7. Thanks so much for a great post. I'd like to know more about these topics and hope that I can receive more insight into this topic.
    Click Here : used motor grader cat 140h cca01812 for sale

    ReplyDelete