Sunday 4 February 2018

30 Paintings - Day 4

Well, I have gone completely off script ( or goal, whichever works for you). Today's painting is a watercolour, not acrylic or abstract and, it will probably go straight in the round file!

While shopping the other day, I went through one of those 'cattle-chutes' that so many stores have put in to guide you to the cash registers - mostly to make you wait where you have to look at products. I usually don't have a problem with impulse buys but this time I couldn't resist. I bought a box of 18 watercolour paints for $7.99. I know, I know, I know better but I was so busy laughing I just had to try them. Here is what the box claims are the 'features': good lightfastness, excellent transparency and tinting strength, superb working properties and, finally, suitable for all artists.

You can see from the above exercise that the colours are by no means transparent. There are very few colours that mix well to make a good third colour and often, when you do mix, you end up with muddy colours. I can't say much about the working properties as I wasn't using my regular paper but they didn't seem to be too bad. One good point - there is a silver paint that actually sparkles and it might be useful some day. If nothing else, I will be able to use these paints to show students what NOT to buy.

I have seen so many super paintings in the last few days at  Leslie's Blog 
that I feel like the 30/30 challenge has been going on for longer than four days. I hope you will take time to have a look.
 

8 comments:

  1. Nice painting. I always get suckered into buying something to eat when I'm on those lines...so I avoid them if at all possible. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan. I think this is the first time I have ever bought anything from the shelves in the cattle-chute - I don't think I will again - lol.

      Delete
  2. You never know some times it is a gem and other times, well ... it is fun to hope and speculate. As you say you might get a chance to utilize them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of that line as a cattle chute, but you are so right! We're herded right past lots of useless goodies! Love your paintings. You are so very talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stores are ever changing but I think the chute is the worst of the recent changes. Oh well, we have to be strong and ignore the useless stuff. I am so glad you like my paintings Cathy - thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  4. What kit is this Val? Obviously more of a gouache right? While it is not your usual wonderful work, it is a lovely little piece. A misty sunset/sunrise, soft and dreamy. And your trees, lovely as always ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. I think just a very cheap paint kit, not gouache. It is Mont Marte, Two Seasons Watercolour and I bought it at Winners. Thanks for the compliment on this not so wonderful work - lol.

      Delete