Friday 23 February 2018

30 Paintings - Day 23!

While struggling to do abstracts on watercolour paper, I have tried a number of different approaches: watercolour style background, palette knife background, and brush background. I have used gesso to create both a different base and to create some texture. Today's painting has a smooth gesso undercoat and a palette knife background.
#1088 - Autumn Icicles - 7 x 10 acrylic on watercolour paper

The deep tones of the quinacridone paints really make this pop nicely in person.

Only 7 more days in the challenge so take time to check out the other artists on Leslie's Blog

Thanks for visiting  - please leave a comment!


8 comments:

  1. beautiful work, Val! I saw this and thought of ballerinas at a barre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mel. It fascinates me that everyone sees something different in my abstracts. It makes me look again and, yes, I can see the ballerinas too. Very cool. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. You really succeeded in creating some interesting textures. I guess that is what makes abstracts so interesting and successful is that each person can read their own story into the picture. Hope you keep creating these even after the challenge Val. Are you finding it easier or harder to come up with abstract ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your great comment Nelvia. I am finding it harder to come up with ideas and I find that so many abstracts are similar to each other. I think I will check out a few more youtube videos for more ideas. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. Love the textured background. Really interesting what is going on there.. The lights and the darks, the shapes. Colors are great too. ;) The white lightening is energizing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sheila. I can't believe how many different things are seen in these abstracts! This one has icicles, ballerinas and now lightening - this is so cool!

      Delete
  4. Awesome texture in this one! The strong background color really makes the white pop!

    ReplyDelete