Friday 19 January 2018

A New Venture!

Last week one of my friends posted a video on Facebook and I just had to try it.  Have a look - Nail Polish Flowers

I didn't have coloured nail polish so I used some fluid acrylics to paint my flowers. For my first flowers I used a Sharpie to make the petals and just some white glue. I did buy some sparkle nail polish for the final touch.

Once they were done it was 'what now?' time. So I decided to make a little flower arrangement.
front

back

dragonfly closeup
My daughter, Susan, suggested that I could make dragonflies and butterflies with this method too - so I did! BTW, the little 'vase' is recycled from a garden solar light and the 'grasses' are made with quilling paper.

I wanted to see it I could make larger flowers, so I made a tube out of glue, tape and construction paper. The glue I used didn't work with the larger size petals and I had to do some experimenting to find something that worked. I ended up using some of my husband's WeldBond glue.

I enjoy making the flowers and experimenting making other shapes too but, I don't think that making arrangements is my thing. So, what to do with the decorations I do make? Add them to houseplants, of course!

Here is a picture of these with a white background so you can see them clearly.

I think I will have fun making more of these and I think they might sell - especially the insects as they would work well in dried flower arrangements too.

At any rate, it is another creative play for me and I like being busy and creative!



8 comments:

  1. I was wondering whether you'd tried that technique - well done, and your arrangements are fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to try it as it looked so easy (deceptively - lol) and I found I enjoyed it. Glad you like the arrangements Win. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. How fun and how pretty! I love the little dragonflies! These remind me of a craft I did once where I used wire to form petals and glued them to fabric and then cut them out. It's fun to try something new and different! I think you're very good at arranging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. There are so many neat creative things to do that we could spend all our time trying new things. I might have to try the fabric idea - lol.

      Delete
  3. These remind me of flowers I made when I was young. My cousin and I took a day class together. It was so fun, and I remember making those flowers for a long while after.
    So glad you are having fun, and I think you are right, they are perfect paired with houseplants :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. They say that everything old is new again and I guess that goes for these flowers. Apparently people used to make similar flowers with wire, fabric and glue; so many cools ways to be creative!

      Delete
  4. These are adorable! I did look at her video. They reminded me of something I had made eons ago. I like the butterflies. They look so nice tucked in with a plant. Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan. It is interesting how many people have either seen or done something like this before - everything old is new again, I guess. I think the butterflies and the flowers make a nice addition to my houseplants and I am making more hoping that other think the same.

      Delete