Sunday 26 March 2017

Commission and Sketches

Earlier this year a friend commissioned me to do a painting of poppies as a gift for her niece. The only instructions I received were about the size  - 7 x 10, and the colour - she wanted a salmon pink for the flowers. So I have been playing around with ideas for composition and searching the internet for good references for the flowers. I have done two pieces and am not sure that I like either of them.

#1014 - Peachy Poppy -  - 7 x 10 watercolour
#1020 - Poppies by the Fence - 7 x 10 watercolour
I have one more drawing ready to paint but I don't feel that I have found the right reference photo yet. Fortunately, I have a lot of time to play with this as the commission isn't due until the end of summer.

Meanwhile, I have continued my promise to myself to do more sketching.
a few sketches from TV and my reference file

Some of the items on top of one of my cupboards

a vase decorated with some metal leaves
It is obvious that I need to work on cylindrical objects but I am reasonably pleased with my progress - getting better every day!

I hope you will let me know what you think of the poppy paintings as any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!


8 comments:

  1. I love the first poppy painting. I think the dark background makes the poppy really stand out, and I like the hints that there are poppies in the background. I think the second painting needs more darks in the foliage to make the poppies stand out. It is great that you have been sketching items around you. Any sketching is great practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comments Joan. I think you are right about the second poppy painting needing more contrast. I am glad you like the first one. I was thinking today (after seeing your blog) that I need to do some sketching in the daytime so I can try my hand at some buildings. Of course, I can always just you photos - lol. Thanks for your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the both Val. The first one is perfect! Those leaves are gorgeous, and the poppy and stems really pop against the darks. Gorgeous!The second is really wonderful. But I think it could use a bit more contrast. Maybe you could also vary the height of the open blooms a bit more as well. They seem to line up to me. Also the leaves at the very bottom seem too similar. You have nice repetition in the fence, and in the drooping buds. Maybe make one of those leaves point up a bit, or face the opposite direction. But really, I think it is very lovely! The colors are gorgeous , again your greens look so fresh and alive :) Wonderful sketches Val! High five for sticking with your practice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a super comment! Thank you so much Sheila, I hadn't noticed the line the poppies made; it is definitely something I will need to fix and I will also have a look at the leaves. I am already working on more contrast. I really appreciate the suggestions from you and Joan; sometimes we are too close to our work and can't see the problems. Glad you like the sketches too. Thanks again.

      Delete
  4. I agree with the comments above. I like each of them for different things. The first is more formal and really shouts poppy. The second is airy and more casual, but it does need that contrast. Do you know where it is intended to go in the house as that might make a difference. Of course you can always do a selection and let your friend pick her favorite. Isn't it fast how quickly you can see the positives of the sketching? I got to get here so I can start to try to go out and do more from life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val--definitely th first one. A couple of leaves need a little darkness for shading or not!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, so glad you took time to comment! I plan to work on the second to see if I can fix it, and to paint a couple more. The client has final pick and I just hope one of them will work for her. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Morning Nelvia. I plan to do a number of paintings for this commission and let Brenda choose her favourite. I have no idea where it will be hung or how old the niece is - no real guidelines at all which makes it tougher. As for the sketching, I think I will try taking a sketchbook with me when we go on our short trips - Bob drives so I could sketch - practice, practice, practice. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete