Tuesday 6 December 2016

A Brief Respite

I feel like I have a few days of rest before the flurry of getting ready for Christmas takes over my life. The Christmas Fair is over, things are in train for next years community art displays, I don't do 'shopping' and it is too early to start baking.

So, I can catch you up on some of the things I haven't had time to write about.

First, my final Watercolour Painting Party of the year took place at the end of October.  Party goers had the chance to paint two 5 x 7 scenes which matted to 8 x 10. I think everyone was very happy with their paintings.






I didn't get photos of all the participants as two ladies were not able to finish their paintings at the party but I did manage to get photos of one lady's paintings.

I hadn't planned to do any more parties until Spring but it looks like a few ladies that came to the Wynndel Christmas Art & Craft Fair are interested in having a party in the new year - how cool is that?

I have been teaching a few private classes this fall which I enjoy doing, especially for beginners. I don't usually take the time to take photos but today I couldn't resist. I am so pleased with my student's progress on this piece!
my painting

Jeannie's painting
Paintings like this are difficult for Jeannie as she has a medical condition that causes her hands to shake. It makes painting smooth edges a real challenge but she is doing so well I just had to share this WIP. The funny thing is that I am only one step ahead of her - Still life paintings are so not my thing - lol. I will try to remember to take photos of the finished paintings so I can share those too.

I am planning on participating in January's 30 Paintings in 30 Day Challenge so I will be doing a lot more blog posts then.

I must be crazy!

8 comments:

  1. WOW! Really wonderful works here! And Jeannie's is awesome! Very close to yours. Congrats to all of your students! I am glad you are crazy Val, I look forward to seeing you in January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila. Crazy, yes but in good company - lol.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome post, Val. Their work looks great! It's a great compliment to be asked to do it again. And your work looks great! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie. It is always gratifying when people come to you instead of you having to go to them. And, the painting parties are a great way to introduce people to art. Best wishes for a great Christmas to you too.

      Delete
  3. I agree, crazy you are, but that is what makes you so special. Just wonderful results you are getting. Obviously you are able to clearly outline how to approach the painting. Isn't it incredible that you are giving Jeannie the tools so she will have many hours of pleasure - good on you!! How did the fair go with the shirts - looks like you got some young men interested in painting too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess most of us are crazy and special too because we are artists - lol. My teaching is mostly winging it but when a student listens and watches as closely as Jeannie does it make it so much easier. As for the shirts at the fair - they didn't go over as well as I hoped. It is so hard to know what will sell at these events but I sell more there than I would if I stayed home so I guess it is worth the effort. Have a great week, Nelvia.

      Delete
  4. The paintings your students did look great! It looks like you have a few young students. They all must be so pleased with the results. Sorry the t-shirts didn't do as well as you hoped. It is hard to know what will appeal to people. I really don't like doing fairs, and really only do one with my group of plein air artists at this time of year. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Joan. I believe the boys were happy with their paintings - it is often hard to tell with kids. The Wynndel fair is the only one I do because I am not really fond of them either but it is good to get out occasionally and meet some of my neighbours - with some that is the only place I every see them. Have a great week.

      Delete