Saturday 17 January 2015

DAY 17 - Leftovers? Garbage?

During my first workshop with local artist Win Dinn (check out her blog here - http://windinnart.blogspot.ca/) I discovered that leftovers and garbage are really just supplies for more mixed media art.
Buttons and Butterflies
When I finished painting "Tulips" the other day, I had way too much paint left over. So, I took some leftover mat board and started applying some of the paint, blotting runs and overages with paper towel. I left the mat to dry and the paper towel in a loose bail on my table. Last night, I had a look at the painted mat thinking I would use it for a background for a new painting but it didn't 'speak' to me.

However, the paper towel (once I opened it up) really caught my fancy and I immediately stuck it on an 8 x 10 canvas using gloss medium and wrapping it around the edges for a finished look. Then I started cutting up the mat board using moon shapes - I have way too many of these so I see another project in the future.

Once my canvas was dry I began to add some of the moon shapes, some leftover buttons and some of my crocheted butterflies and, voilĂ  a finished painting!

For more art check out http://lesliesaeta.blogspot.ca/ and then go and vote at - http://paintamasterpiece.blogspot.ca/


2 comments:

  1. I thought that was paper towel. I love it Val. Love the buttons and butterflies :) The moons... this feels very mystical :) And I really love the reuse/recycle aspect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheila. Some times things just fall in to place!. The reuse, recycle aspect is great except you need lots of room to store your 'leftovers' - lol!

    ReplyDelete